The German Department is pleased to announce a new scholarship award opportunity with funding provided by Mr. David W. Detjen, LA70, LW73, and Dr. Barbara Morgan Detjen, LA70.
The Detjen Study Abroad Award provides support for undergraduate and graduate students to undertake German-language coursework for at least one semester at a university in a German-speaking country. It is designed to provide partial funding for a student’s expenses associated with travel to, from, and within Europe. Preference shall be given to undergraduate students matriculated for a full academic year at a German-speaking university, with secondary consideration given to undergraduate or graduate students matriculated at a German-speaking university for one semester.
Students wishing to apply for this opportunity should review the guidelines below.
- Undergraduate students applying for the Washington University-Tübingen program should do one of the following:
- Complete the “Detjen Family Study Abroad Award” section of the Tübingen program application by the Overseas Programs deadline; OR
- submit by July 1 to Professor Kurt Beals a 300-500 word statement addressing how the Detjen Family Study Abroad Award would make a difference in the student’s study abroad experience
- Undergraduate or graduate students planning to study in a German-speaking country apart from the Washington University-Tübingen program should submit by July 1 to Professor Kurt Beals the following:
- A brief (300-500 word) description of the student's plan for studying abroad (including the host university, the term of study, subjects/disciplines to be studied)
- A short endorsement from the Chair, Director of Graduate Studies or Director of Undergraduate Studies of the student’s home department or major department
- A current Washington University unofficial transcript
- A 300-500 word statement addressing how the Detjen Family Study Abroad Award would make a difference in the student's study abroad experience.
For more information, please contact Professor Beals.