Admission is based on ability, promise of achievement, and commitment to advanced study in the discipline. The following items must be submitted for consideration:
- online application (see https://www.applyweb.com/wustl/index.ftl)
- statement of purpose
- writing sample (English or German)
- three letters of recommendation
- GRE scores (for domestic applicants only)
- TOEFL scores for international applicants who have not studied for at least one year at an English-speaking institution
The annual application deadline is January 15 and the application fee is $45. All materials not submitted online should be submitted directly to the department. Offers of admission will be made by April 1. For exchange students, the deadline is April 15. For more information about the graduate application process, please contact our Student Coordinator, Cecily Stewart Hawksworth.